36. “the name notwithstanding”结构，结构中“notwithstanding”是介词，介词可以置前，可以置后，比如也可写成：“notwithstanding the name”。起让步状语的作用。
Some people think of the storage battery as a sort of condenser where electricity is stored.But this is an entirely wrong conception, the name notwithstanding.
37. “Every…not”和“All…not”结构，“Every…not”表示“不见得每个…………”；“All…not”表示“ 不见得所有…………”的意思。
Every man is not polite, and all are not born gentlemen.
38. “may as well not…as”结构，此结构可译为“与其……不如不……”。
One may as well not know a thing at all as know it but imperfectly.
39. “have only to …do”结构，此结构表示“只须（消）……就能……”的意思。
We have only to turn to that extraordinary discovery made by Edison to see the significance of it.
40. “not （no） …unless…”句型No increase in output can be expected unless a new assembly line is installed.
41. “better…than…”句型Better my life should be ended by their hate, than that hated life should be prolonged to live without your love.
42. “as it were”是非常常用的插入语，意思是“好象”，“可以说”等。
Apiece of iron near a magnet, though apparently separate from it , feels, as it were, the threads of this attachment.
43. 结构，在下面例句中，anyone的定语从句过长，把谓语must realize提到定语从句之前。
Though faith and confidence are surely more or lass foreign to my nature, I do not infrequently find myself looking to them to be able, diligent, candid, and even honest. Plainly enough, that is too large an order, as anyone must realize who reflects upon the manner in which they reach public office.
44. “not…any more than…”为：“……，正如……”。
One cannot learn to sketch and express himself graphically only by reading about it any more than one can learn to swim while standing by the pool.
45. “By that as it may”是“Let it be that as it may”的省略，是由“be”引起的假设结构，意思是“如此，”。
It is said that the nerve poison is the more primitive of the two, that the blood poison is, so to speak, a new product from an improved formula. Be that as it may, the nerve poison does its business with man far more quickly than the blood poison.
46. “if at all”是由“if”引起的主谓结构不完整的短句结为“即将……”，“即使……”等。
I can see only with great difficulty, if at all.
There have been opened up to the vast and excellent science, in which my work is the beginning, ways and means by which other minds more accurate than wine will explore its remote corners.
48. “range from …to…”结构。这是常见结构，译时情况下应变通，完全辞典上的释义。
Computer applications range from an assembly line completely run by computers to a children toy responding to remote signals.
49. “the way…”结构I always thought she was a common-sense person who discussed things the way they ought to be discussed.
50. 宾补结构In recent years, the development of sensitive and accurate measuring equipment has made it possible to measure the acuity of hearing of any individual at different frequencies.
51. 某些分隔结构1） 动词短语被分隔（当“make use of ”，“take notice of”，“pay attention to”，等动词短语变成被动语态时）。
Use is made of solar energy in heating houses.
But there is of culture another view, in which not solely the scientific passion, the sheer desire to see things as they are, natural and proper in an intelligent being, appears as the ground of it.
52. “to be doing…when…”是句型，多译为“某人正在做……时，突然……”。在简单的句子中容易看出，一旦句子变得，就不太容易识别句型。
She said she and a friend had gone out to dinner that night, and were walking home together at about 10 o'clock, when a “very big, very tall man”, accosted them and demanded their purses.
53. “too…to”句型Then I remembered how often I, too, had been indifferent to the grandeur of each day, too preoccupied with petty and sometimes even mean concerns to respond to the splendor of it all.
54. “so much that…”句型But he developed gradually a very musical English. He learnt to write sentences that fall away on the ear with a misty languor and it delighted him so much that he could never have enough of it.
Anything is better than not to write clearly. There is nothing to be said against lucidity, and against simplicity only the possibility of dryness. This is a risk that is well worth taking when you reflect how much better it is to be bold than to wear a curly wig.
In 1600 the earth was not the center of the universe because the majority then supposed it was; nor, because she had more readers, was Ella wheeler Wilcox a better poet than Father Hopkins.
57. “so…that, such…that”是普通的句型，但在同句子里有两处使用它却少见。
The truth is, that in one point of view, this matter of national literature has come to such a pass with us, that in some sense we must turn bullies, else the day is lost, or superiority so far beyond us, that we can hardly say it will ever be ours.
58. “by doing…”结构。结构的意思是“（做）……”，但翻译实践中拘泥于释义，不少情况下需要灵活变通。
The hippos, by depositing dung in the water, fed the fish that support the storks that destroy the rare trees.
No less obvious is the fact there are great numbers of people so constituted or so brought up that they cannot get so much pleasure out of processes and experiences resulting in a poorer life less full of meaning.
60. “what…of”句型I can not say of myself what Johnson said of Pope: He never passed a fault unamended by indifference, nor quitted it by despair. I do not write as I do; I write as I can.
It is a valuable work. I do not think anyone writes so well that he cannot learn much from it.
62. “to have not…（as） to see…”中的不定式也有否定意味。
He had not the good breeding to see that simplicity and naturalness are the truest marks of distinction.
63. “It occurred to sb. that…”意为“突然想到”，“It dawned on sb.that…”.“突然想起”等。 从句是想起的内容。
I remember once being on a bus and looking at a stranger. He suddenly looked back at me-i.e.our eyes met. My instinctive reaction was to avert my gaze. It occurred to me that if I had continued to maintain eye contact, I would have been rude and aggressive.
64. “It follows that…”=“It happens as a result…”常常被译为“由此可见”，“”，“从前”，“可以推断”等等。
It follows that the housewife will also expect to be able to have more leisure in her life without lowering her standard of living. It also follows that human domestic servants will have completely ceased to exist.
65. “that's all there is to it ”，意思是“也不过如此而已”。可上下文视情况。
If I'm touched, I'm touched-that's all there is to it.
66. “The chances are that…”是一句型，译为“有……”。
The chances are you will never attempt that speed with poetry or want to race though some passages in fiction over which you wish to linger.
67. Feel, see, leave引起宾语的宾语补足语，或在被动语态中引起主语补足语的某些惯用句型，有时see和feel这两个词的被动式不大好译。遇到情况应挖掘其深层含义，不要拘泥于表面。
The education of the young is seen to be of primary importance.
68. 某此以no, nowhere, never, not…bout, not…any, nothing but, hardly, scarcely, seldom等否定词语引出的结构。
I never go past the theatre but I think of his last performance.
69. 某些用choice between, to know better, whether or, should have avoided（或done better）等表示从两种做法中选取的做法Then we are faced with a choice between using technology to provide and fulfil needs which have hitherto been regarded as unnecessary or, on the other hand, using technology to reduce the number of hours of work which a man must do in order to earn a given standard of libing.
The country had grown rich, its commerce was large, and wealth did its natural work in making life softer and more worldly, commerce in deprovincializing the minds of those engaged in it.
Across the court from the Manhattan apartment that I have occupied for the past few years is a dog that often hurls insults into the darkness, a few of which my dog refuses to accept and makes a tart reply.
Of course, nobody was hurt this time, because we had all been to dinner, none of us being novices excepting Hastings; and he having been informed by the minister at the time that he invited him that in deference to the English custom the had not provided any dinner.