Every year students in many countries learn English. Some of these students are children, __1__ students are young people. Why do all these people want to learn__2__? It is not__3__to answer this question. Many boys and girls learn English at school. It is one of their __4__. Many people learn English because it is__5__in their work. Some young people learn English__6__their higher studies because some of their books are__7__English. Other people learn English because they want to __8__newspapers in English. Some people learn Englis h because they want to __9__ in the USA, England or Australia. English is very__10__in our life (生活).
1. A. all B. the other C. both D. other
2. A. English B. Chinese C. maths D. Japanese
3. A. hard B. easy C. good D. nice
4. A. books B. classes C. schools D. subjects (科目)
5. A. good B. useful (有用的) C. fine D. pleased
6. A. for B. of C. to D. from
7. A. in B. with C. at D. of
8. A. look B. see C. look at D. read
9. A. go B. work C. like D. come
10. A. help B. helping C. helps D. helpful
1. 选B。some...other(s)...意思是"一些……另一些(泛指)"; some...the other(s)...意思是"一些……另一些(特指)"。由语境可知，在学英语的学生中，除一部分是孩子外，剩余的是青年人(特指)。
7. 选A。in English是习惯搭配。
8. 选D。"读报"英语习惯说read newspapers。
9. 选B。根据语境及句子结构，有些人学习英语或想出国(go to a country)或想在这些国家工作(work in a country)。
The pop ulation problem may be the 1 one of the world today. The world's population is growing 2 . Two thousand years ago, there were only 250 million people 3 the earth. Four hundred years ago, the number was 4 500 million. But at the beginning of the 5 century, the world's population was about 1,700 million.In 1970, this number was 3,600 million. In 1990, the number was five billion. A 6 report says that the world population will 7 six billion by the end of the 20th century. This is just ten 8 after it 9 five billion. People say that by the year 2010, 1 0 may be seven billion.
1.A.great B.greater C.greatest D.greating
2.A.faster and faster B.fast and fast C.fastest and fastest D.faster and fast
3.A.in B.on C.at D.for
4.A.nearly B.more C.almost D.over
5.A.twenty B.twelve C.twentieth D.twelfth
6.A.USA B.UN C.PRC D.PLA
7.A.past B.pass C.passed D.passes
8.A.weeks B.months C.seasons D.years
9.A.get B.gets C.reached D.reach
10.A.this B.its C.one D.it
KEY: 1.C 2.A 3.B 4.D 5.C 6.B 7.B 8.D 9.C 10.D
Fire can help people in m any ways. But it can also be very harmful (有害的). Fire can keep your house __1__, give light and cook food. But fire can burn things __2__. Big fire can burn, trees, houses, animals or people.
Nobody knows how people began to use fire. But there are __3__. interesting old stories about how a man or woman started a fire. One is __4__ a man. The man __5__ a very long time ago. He went up the sun and __6__ fire down.
Today people know how to make a fire with matches(火柴). Children sometimes __7__ to play with them. But matches can be very dangerous. One match can burn a piece of paper. and __8__ it could burn a house. A small fire can turn a big fire. very quickly. So you __9__ be careful with matches.
Be careful with fire, and it will __10__ you. But if you aren’t careful with fire. and it may hurt you.
1. A. warm B. warmer C. cool D. cooler
2. A. also B. too C. either D. neither
3. A. many B. much C. little D. no
4. A. over B. about C. a little D. no
5. A. worked B. studied C. learned D. lived
6. A. bring B. take C. brought D. took
7. A. enjoy B. like C. don't like D. become
8. A. after B. late C. yet D. then
9. A. can B. man C. will D. must
10. A. help B. do C. tell D. hope
Key: 1.C 2.C 3.D 4.C 5.A 6.B 7.D 8.A 9.B 10.D