My father died when I was a few months old. After his death, my mother moved back to Louisville, Kentucky, where 35 had grown up. We lived in a small house with her older sister, Marion, and their mother. This was a time when being a single 36 was still considered unusual.
When I was small, there was a children’s book called The Happy Family, and it was a real piece of work. Dad worked all day long at the office, Mom cooked in the kitchen, and brother and sister always had friends sleeping over. The image of the family in this book was typical (典型的) of the time. It looked 37 like my family, but luckily that wasn’t the way I heard it. The way my Aunt Marion read it to me made the story really 38 .
Kind-hearted and open-minded, my aunt was the one who played baseball with me, who took me horseback riding, who took me to the father-son dinners and who gave me lessons on how to drive. Believing that anything 39 was probably good for me, she 40 to get a loan (贷款) so that I could go to Africa to work as a volunteer, which was my most important experience.
As a young girl, Aunt Marion always planned to have a large number of children of her own, but she never got married. This 41 that she was free to spend all her time taking care of me. Many people say we have a lot in common. She always 42 me to do my best. She never 43 to make me believe that I could do anything with my life that I wanted, if I only tried hard enough.
For more than sixty years, Aunt Marion didn’t and still doesn’t think of herself. 44 she is forced to come up to the front, my aunt will stand in the back in family photos, and she doesn’t think that her efforts have made much 45 . I honored my aunt, who taught me the things my 46 couldn’t. So every June for the past 40 years, in growing thankfulness to my Aunt Marion, I’ve sent her a Father’s Day card.（350words）
35. A. I B. she C. he D. we
36. A. man B. family C. parent D. child
37. A. nothing B. anything C. everything D. something
38. A. surprising B. boring C. sad D. funny
39. A. interesting B. pleasant C. impossible D. unusual
40. A. decided B. afforded C. offered D. prepared
41. A. said B. meant C. proved D. showed
42. A. allowed B. expected C. invited D. forced
43. A. hoped B. agreed C. stopped D. failed
44. A. Unless B. Although C. Since D. Before
45. A. difference B. progress C. trouble D. sense
46. A. teachers B. mother C. father D. friends